Today, I decided that it was high time for me to go and see La Sagrada Familia. (Please excuse the bad pun). For those of you who don't know, La Sagrada Familia is a very large church in the center of Barcelona designed by Gaudi. It was started in the 1880s and is still in construction. Gaudi's plans were for an absolutely enormous structure, with around 16 towers and multiple detailed facades. Unsurprisingly, Gaudi died before the work was finished, but he left enough sketches and small-scale plaster models for the building to continue far into the future.
After seeing so many Roman and Gothic-inspired churches throughout Spain, La Sagrada Familia is a breath of fresh air. It is certainly majestic, but also whimsical, colorful, and airy. A church structure that actually encourages joy. How novel!
I also loved the ways that the stained glass windows inside the church throw color on the walls. I have posted a few more pictures below.
Overall, it is a really cool building and I am glad that I reverted to being a tourist today to check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment